Recent events with the CSM Emergency Summit minutes (or lack thereof) and the subsequent dissenting CSM voices on EVE Radio, assorted blogs and various other gaming media have brought the relationship between CCP and the CSM (and therefore the players) to the fore once again.
Tweetfleet conversations later discussing the situation led to calls for a Blog Banter to facilitate a broader dialogue across the blogging community. As a result, the following questions have been asked:
“In recent months, the relationship between CCP and it’s customers has been the subject of some controversy. The player-elected Council of Stellar Management has played a key role in these events, but not for the first time they are finding CCP difficult to deal with. What effect will CCP’s recent strategies have on the future of EVE Online and it’s player-base? What part can and should the CSM play in shaping that future? How best can EVE Online’s continued health and growth be assured?”
Please feel free to take part in the Blog Banter, for more details, see here.
The following are some useful links to resources relevant to this discussion.
- Funky Bacon interviewing The Mittani, Trebor Daehdoow and Seleene on EVE Radio.
- Jester’s Trek post showing average concurrent users, referenced in above interview.
- CCP CEO Hilmar Pétursson Youtube interview discussing relevant topics (April 2011).
- The offical Devblog published following the June Emergency Summit.
- CSM member Seleene’s account of the Emergency Summit.
- CSM member Trebor Daedoow’s account of the missing Emergency Summit minutes.
- CSM chairman The Mittani’s analysis of the current situation on Kugutsumen.
It seems that The Mittani’s promised media assault is underway:
- Eurogamer – Eve CSM chair Mittani breaks the peace
- PC Gamer – Eve Online stellar council head hits out at CCP
- Edge – CCP accused of “running Eve Online into the ground”
- EVE News 24 Interview with The Mittani – The United States of EVE
- Rock, Paper, Shotgun – Eve’s CSM Fight Back and Some Thoughts
- GameSpy – EVE Online Vets Demand Something New to Do, Not Something New to Wear From CCP
- Gamerzone – EVE CSM Chair Mittani Breaks the Peace
- Maximum PC – The Game Boy: You Paid For It, But It’s Not Yours
- Broken Toys – PLUS ÇA CHANGE, PLUS C’EST LA MÊME CHOSE
- Ten Ton Hammer – EVE Online CSM Chairman Takes Aim at CCP
- MMORPG.com Interview – EVE Online: The Mittani Speaks Out
- Eurogamer Interviews the EVE Council Chairman
A statement by The Mittani as a result of the above articles can be found on the new EvE Forums here.
A good account of the developments so far (Sep 8th 2011) has been written by Orrakus and published on EVE Stratics: CCP Faces Longevity Concerns from its Playerbase.
14:22gmt on 9th September 2011, CCP publishes the controversial CSM Emergency Summit Minutes.
A refreshingly positive spin on the future of EVE from MMORPG’s coverage of CCP’s recent PAX Prime appearance.
18:26gmt on 9th September, an announcement by CSM member Meissa Anunthiel on the EVE Online forums read as follows:
“Amidst the recent forum activity about reports of decreased subscriber count, discontent about lack of resources allocated to “Flying In Space” (or, as we know it, Eve Online) and, despite Gridlock and Team BFF’s efforts, general stagnation when it comes to fixes and improvements, the CSM just met with CCP’s Senor Producer for Eve Online: CCP Zulu.
During that meeting, we discussed the players’ concerns with the man who has the ability to resolve them. We cannot share the details of the meeting itself because it is heavily NDA’d, but ways to resolve your concerns have been discussed and a follow-up meeting is planned.“
To which The Mittani added:
“I thought it was a useful conversation and I look forward to the next meeting – useful enough that we’ll be relaxing the media pressure for now. Take that for what you will.”
As they are written, I will link the community responses below.
- Seleene’s Sandbox – Reality Check*
- Jacabon Mere @ Dying in Lowsec (One Hauler at a Time) – The Future of EVE (Blog Banter 28)
- Evehermit’s Blog – Blog Banter 28: “The Future of EVE Online, CCP and the CSM.”
- Suicidal Pancake @ Horizon’s Edge – Blog Banter 28: The Clock is ticking…
- Blastradius1 @ Blastrad Tales – (BB28) Consultant
- Tgl3 @ Through Newb Eyes – Blog Banter 28: “The Future of EVE Online, CCP and the CSM.”
- Shadai @ Sleepless in Space – Sticks and Shenanigans (Blog Banter #28)
- Kirith Kodachi @ Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah – I Was There – Blog Banter
- Drackarn @ Sand, Cider and Spaceships – Blog Banter 28: “The Future of EVE Online, CCP and the CSM.”
- Rixx Javix @ Eveoganda – Blog Banter #28: Space, the Final Frontier
- S.W. @ Confessions of a Closet Carebear – Blog Banter 28: “The Future of EVE Online, CCP and the CSM.”
- Cozmik R5 @ Beyond Space – Blog Banter #28: Here’s My Coffee CCP
- Baa @ The Silent Bleat – Is EVE dying? & The CSM
- Trebor Daehdoow @ Confessions of a Starship Politician – Behind the Power Curve and into the Coffin Corner**
- TeaDaze.net – Behind the Power Curve and into the Coffin Corner – My Response
- Sessym @ Rants from New Eden – Blog Banter 28: “The Future of EVE Online, CCP and the CSM.”
- Kuan Yida @ Random Posts from Auga – ooc: Blog Banter
- Lex Starwalker @ EVE A to Z – Blog Banter Resurrection: the Future of EVE
- MarcScaurus @ Wanderlust – Blog Banter 28
- Ripard Teg @ Jester’s Trek – All of this has happened before
- Helena Khan @ Aggressive Logistics – This is not the CSM you were looking for…
- Orakkus @ 2nd Anomaly From the Left – Blog Banter: Coal Now – Diamonds Later
- Mord Fiddle @ Fiddler’s Edge – Fever Dream
- A Scientist’s Life in EVE – Blog Banter 28: “The Future of EVE, CCP and the CSM.”
- Col. Roc Wieler @ Roc’s Ramblings – Blog Banter – Truth for the Masses
- Corelin @ Haberdashers Run Amok – Consider This Dead Horse Beaten
- Gilbert Hamilton @ Diary of a Garbageman – So, on this whole CCP “thing” lately
- Seismic Stan @ Freebooted – BB28: Fighting Establishments
- PyroTech03 @ Wandering the Void – Blog Banter #28: The future of Eve…
- Poetic Stanziel @ Poetic Discourse – NDAs, Minutes, Other Stupid Bullshit
- Druur Monakh @ Hazardous Goods – A Walk in a Station
- Mike Azariah @ A Missioneer in EVE – BB28 Political Blues
- Akenisis @ Drifting – The Future of EVE Online, CCP and the CSM
- Tiberu Stundrif …
- Myrhial Arkenath @ Diary of a Pod Pilot – Blog Banter 28: CCP, the CSM and the Future
- Rixx Javix @ Eveoganda – EVEOTORIAL: The CSM and Why It’s Bad For EVE
- Parity Bit @ EVE’s Parity Bit – Space Politics
- Keyanu @ MuppetNinjas – Blog Banter 28: My two pence
** Again, not cited as a Banter, but relevant discourse from a CSM member.