This month’s Blog Banter comes from Drackarn of Sand, Cider and Spaceships. He has foolishly chosen to poke the hornets’ nest that is the non-consensual PvP debate. Whilst you read his question, I’ll be finding a safe place to hide.
“A quick view of the Eve Online forums can always find someone complaining about being suicide ganked, whining about some scam they fell for or other such tears. With the Goons’ Ice Interdiction claiming a vast amount of mining ships there were calls for an “opt out of PvP” option.
Should this happen? Should people be able to opt-out of PvP in Eve Online? Should CONCORD prevent crime rather than just handing out justice after the event? Or do the hi-sec population already have too much protection from the scum and villainy that inhabits the game?”
Banter on my friends.
[Not sure what a Blog Banter is but want to join the conversation? Click here for an explanation.]
Links to community responses will magically appear in a tasty list below.
Community Tubthumps, Tears and Titters
- Blog Banter 32 by Corelin @ Haberdashers Run Amok
- EVE Online is Harsh – Live With It by Drackarn @ Sand, Cider and Spaceships
- Blog Banter 32 by Cle Demaari @ A Citizen in EVE
- Safe? by blastradius1 @ Blastrad Tales
- Consensual PvP? by Ned “CCP Manifest” Coker @ A Gaming Manifest
- Blog Banter 32 by evehermit @ Evehermit’s Blog
- EVE is all about risk by TG3 @ Through Newb Eyes
- Blog Banter 32 by Harrigan Vonstudly @ Gun Turret Diplomacy
- Blog Banter 32 by Lukas Rox @ Torchwood Archives
- Blog Banter something or other and an update by TetraEtc @ Tetra’s EVE Blog
- Life’s not consensual by Logan Fyreite @ Eve Opportunist
- Without PvP, EVE will be nothing by Keyanu @ Muppetninjas
- Blog Banter 32 by A Scientist’s Life in EVE
- Say Yes To Reasonable Protection by Kirith Kodachi @ Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah
- Your Ship is Out of Control by Rixx Javix @ EVEOGANDA
- Blog Banter 32 by Kaeda Maxwell
- What Makes EvE Real? by Kuan Yida @ Random Posts From Auga
- See No Evil by Azual Skoll @ The Altruist
- The Sandbox Argument by Seismic Stan @ Freebooted
- Blog Banter 32 by Marc Scaurus @ Malefactor
- Non-Consensual Combat Restrictions – Pass by Mabrick @ Mabrick’s Mumblings
- A Load of Crap by GamerChick42
- For the Children by Sered @ Sered’s Lives
- Against Your Will by Truen1ght @ …Shall we not Revenge
- BB: Option 3 by Mike Azariah @ A Missioneer in EVE
- Who Are You.. Really? by Orakkus @ 2nd Anomaly From the Left
- Get Your Tears Out of My Beer by Kat Robspierre @ Chasing ISK
- I heart carebears by Shalee Lianne @ Living a Lie
- PvP needs consequences for both sides by Urziel99 @ Urziel’s EVE Chronicle
- Not one of those sarcastic ones by Cobalt Snake @ Year of the Snake
- Blog Banter 32 by Anabaric @ Inside My Skull So Many Demons
- Opt out of PvP? More like opt out of subscribing by Xero Shifter @ Gathering Space Dust
- Ganking Without Consent by Mandrill @ keithneilson.co.uk
- Blog Banter 32 by Crash @ Obfuscated Reality
- Blog Banter 32 by splatus @ A Journey Through the Mind
- The problem is in the middle by Myrhial Arkenath @ Diary of a Pod Pilot
- “The Sandbox Argument” by TurAmarth ElRandir @ A CARBON Based Life
- Why No One Likes Anyone by Adainy Gwanwyn @ Hot Lead Space Bomb
- Vigilantes! by Aurelie Thalys @ Emergent Patroller
- Putting the “Sensual” in “Non-consensual” by Aiden Mourn @ Finders & Keepers
Drackarn · 18/01/2012 at 02:57
Amazingly I was just working on a blog entry on this topic. Wow! 😛 http://sandciderandspaceships.blogspot.com/2012/01/blog-banter-32-eve-online-is-harsh-live.html
Seismic Stan · 18/01/2012 at 03:04
Shocking. You still weren't first though. Slacker ;).
Drackarn · 18/01/2012 at 07:57
I was in bed! Got up early to see if you'd sent it out so I could post whilst wife was in the shower!
Lukas Rox · 18/01/2012 at 08:15
Okay, my 2 cents on the topic:
Azual · 18/01/2012 at 20:55
My first contribution to a blog banter (and hopefully not my last):
Jeff · 18/01/2012 at 21:51
Can we get some interesting blog banters which actually have some discussion in the future please? This one is horribly one sided.
Seismic Stan · 18/01/2012 at 22:37
Jeff, whilst I mostly agree with you. If you can only see one side, you've probably eaten too much sand. BB32: The Sandbox Argument
Marc Scaurus · 18/01/2012 at 23:32
My two cents: WARNING, this is probably not even worth two pennies.
Jeff · 19/01/2012 at 04:11
It's not that I can't see two sides, but reading 30 extremely similar blog posts just makes one wary of reading anything with a BB in the title. Not the reaction I presume you want.
Sered Woollahra · 19/01/2012 at 11:36
Here's my entry..
Shalee Lianne · 19/01/2012 at 23:38
Urziel99 · 20/01/2012 at 06:49
A most controversial topic this time. Also, who do I have to kill to get on the Blog Banter mailing list?
Seismic Stan · 20/01/2012 at 09:56
Sorry Urziel, I'm surprised you're not already on the list. Email me at seismic[dot]stan[at]gmail.com with your preferred email address and I'll add you.
Cobalt Snake · 20/01/2012 at 14:45
I tweeted, but I thought I'd make sure you got it 🙂
mandrill · 21/01/2012 at 17:56
First Banter in a loooooong time. http://keithneilson.co.uk/?p=130
Splatus · 22/01/2012 at 03:45
A list, there is a list? How do I get on it? These blogs make great reading.I disagree with most of them, of course. 😉
TurAmarth ElRandir · 23/01/2012 at 08:40
Fav topic of mine as I love the sandbox and all its Eds are Speshul… (and you speld Spec shuls rrong..) =P
First time reposndant, long time lurker…
Comments are closed.