Welcome to the 38th edition of the EVE Blog Banter, a community discussion that delves broader and deeper into the topics of the moment in all matters EVE Online. This month’s community meat upon which we dine is inspired by an obscure and inactive blogger you’ve probably never heard of. 😉
“In his recent “That’s just the way it is” post on Jester’s Trek, blogger Ripard Teg posits that the established EVE player-base has come to accept many of EVE’s design idiosyncrasies, rarely questioning their purpose or benefit. Conversely, he also suggests that new players might not be so forgiving of these “quirks”. In an interview with Gamasutra, Senior Producer CCP Unifex describes EVE Online’s developers as “relatively hands-off janitors of the virtual world”, underlining that he has only four content developers but “a lot” of programmers and engineers.
Has a culture developed where CCP has started to take player effort for granted – expecting the “social engine” to fulfil tasks that might otherwise be CCP’s responsibility? Or should this culture be embraced as part of “emergent gameplay” with these quirks accepted as the catalyst for interaction?”
As always, the question has been sent to everyone on the Blog Banter mailing list, but the discussion is open to all. Please take the time to read the many and varied entries and to share your opinion with those bloggers who pique your interest. For more info on how blog banters work, read this.
For the real meat, the following butchers of the unknowable have already carved their cuts of truth from the carcass of controversy.
The conversation was already in flow with these two juxtaposed opinions:
- That’s just the way it is by Ripard Teg @ Jester’s Trek
- We Need Those Face-Palm Moments by Poetic Stanziel @ Poetic Discourse
- EVE blog banter 38 by allianc @ myFAMC
- Tilting the Balance, Part 1 and Part 2 by Rhavas @ Interstellar Privateer
- Everyone’s a Critic by Zeric Sarain @ Overheat Everything
- Witness to Change by Emergent Patroller
- Fixing Stuff Can Break Stuff by Drackarn @ Sand, Cider and Spaceships
- Sandbox Jenga by Firstly @ Flying Silent
- Dogmatic, Not Automatic by Adhar Khorin @ Margin Call
- It is what we make it by Mike Azariah @ A Missioneer in Eve
- All Our Worlds Your Stage by TurAmarth ElRandir @ A Carbon Based Life
- The Canvas Game by Rixx Javix @ EVEOGANDA
- Blog Banter #38 by Roc Wieler @ Roc’s Ramblings
- Tweaking the Machine by Winterblink @ Warp Drive Active
- Designing the Future Experience by Seismic Stan @ Freebooted
- Some things will never change by Morphisat @ Morphisat’s Blog
- Minds of their Own by Kirith Kodachi @ Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah
- Who makes the story? by James Stephens @ Inanity and Doom
- Vanilla Custard and the Triple Chocolate Gateau of Doom…! by H @ Aggressive Logistics
- Small improvements make a difference by Virto Nex @ Cannon Fodder
- Do it yourself by The Scientist @ A Scientist’s Life in EVE
- A Decade of EVE by Mandrill @ KeithNeilson.co.uk
- Jamming by blastradius1 @ Blastrad tales
- Creative Anarchy: A Blog Banter by Memoocan @ Progression’s Horizon
- CCP and its Laurels by EveHermit @ EveHermit’s Blog
allianc · 29/07/2012 at 04:12
My first EVE blog banter, and one of my first EVE blog posts in general.
Please tell me what Im doing wrong. And be gentle :).
Rhavas · 29/07/2012 at 05:18
This hit a lot of hot buttons for me. To the point I'm going to have to do a two-parter. Here's part one:
Zeric Sarain · 29/07/2012 at 06:21
I wrote a response. It's my first time contributing.
Emergent Patroller · 29/07/2012 at 12:33
That was quick!
And I am quick to react 🙂
Drackarn · 29/07/2012 at 17:44
Firstly · 30/07/2012 at 00:40
The actual title is Sandbox Jenga: BB38. I published before revising the working title. Let me know what you think, Evebloggers!
Rhavas · 30/07/2012 at 04:57
Part 2 is now up:
Adhar Khorin · 31/07/2012 at 01:37
Whew, so much on this topic, had to keep it to just a few gaming references, and one resurrected article.
TurAmarth ElRandir · 31/07/2012 at 11:03
"The sandbox aspect…" just never gets old does it? =]
“All Our Worlds Your Stage…”
Rixx Javix · 31/07/2012 at 12:14
Little slow this time, but mine is up now
Winterblink · 31/07/2012 at 16:35
Tweaking the Machine
Zimmy910 · 01/08/2012 at 10:04
Mine is at
James Stephens · 01/08/2012 at 18:03
Been a while since I did one of these…
H · 02/08/2012 at 02:51
Late – as usual 🙂
Virto Nex · 02/08/2012 at 06:53
Had to think about this one for a bit, but here's my take on it.
Memoocan · 03/08/2012 at 14:42
Short and to the point. Not the greatest of returns to the banter series xP
evehermit · 16/08/2012 at 01:32
Running late as usual
MinorFreak · 18/08/2012 at 09:58
oh, BS. grow up people. CCP has always taken us for granted to the point they'll NERF storyline arcs if players start making a big deal out of chronicles.
Who can forget the travesty that was the player driven content regarding the Tetrimon Cult?
Anonymous · 24/09/2012 at 00:05
Finally got one together, and here it be – http://blastradtales.wordpress.com/2012/08/08/jamming-bb38/
Comments are closed.