Welcome to the 40th edition of the EVE community Blog Banter, the discussion arena that reaches parts you probably shouldn’t be touching.
A Blog What?
With CCP casting their community spotlight upon this very tradition, we might have some new readers curious about the process, so here’s a quick run-down:
It’s pretty simple; on a semi-regular basis, questions suggested by the community are fashioned into a broad discussion topic which is then tackled by the many bloggers who choose to participate.
Many bloggers are emailed the details (I maintain a mailing list which I would be happy to update if you want to be included – email me at seismic[dot]stan[at]gmail.com), and others simply grab the question from the launch post (like this one) which I simultaneously publish. Entrants link to their blogpost in the comments section below and a list is maintained at the bottom of this article. Participants and observers are encouraged to read through the entries and leave comments, and before you know it you have an explosion of focused discussion spreading across the community.
Once the conversation has reached it’s conclusion, a willing volunteer then puts together a summary of the whole event and we get an overview of general opinion and a collection of diverse and intelligent ideas. For more info, check out Blog Banters Reborn: Now With Added Troll or take browse through this summary of previous Blog Banter discussions or by following the link at the top of this page.
So on with the banter.
Fresh from publishing the community spotlight on the EVE blogosphere and Blog Banters, CCP Phantom has suggested a banter focus on competitive tournaments.
There is no finer spectacle in the universe of EVE Online than the explosive dance of weapon-laden spaceships in combat. The yearly Alliance Tournament is the jewel in EVE Online’s eSports crown and the upcoming New Eden Open should deliver the same gladiatorial entertainment showcase.
Given the scope of the sandbox, what part should eSports play in EVE Online and what other formats could provide internet spaceship entertainment for spectators and participants alike?
E-Sports Punditry to follow:
- Sandlot Games by Rixx Javix @ EVEOGANDA
- DUST 514 E-Sports: A Vision by Mandrill @ KeithNeilson.co.uk
- Type 40. by TetraEtc @ Tetras Eve Blog
- Egos for Profit in eSports by Orakkus @ 2nd Anomaly From the Left
- What makes a Blood Sport Popular? by Mabrick @ Mabrick’s Mumblings
- Blogbanter 40 by Trebron Znieh @ The Gallente Blaster Cannon
- “EVE” Sport by Cailais @ The Hydrostatic Capsule
- BB40: Interstellar Blood Sports by Kirith Kodachi @ Inner Sanctum of the Ninveah
- Van Damme in Space? by Dian Lung @ Tales of a Recovering Carebear
- Empathy for the Devils by Mike Azariah @ A Missioneer in Eve
- For the Empress! For the State! For the Council! For the Free! by H @ Aggressive Logistics
- Explaining the (virtually) unexplainable by The Scientist @ A Scientist’s Life in Eve
- Blog Banter 40 by Althurus Vendrius @ Fighting for Coins, in space since 2012
- eSports and Eve by Morphisat @ Morphisat’s Blog
- BB40: Bloodsports: hand me the remote, dear by Sered Woollahra @ Sered’s lives
- Making Sense of the Invisible – Eve and ESports by Adhar Khorin @ Margin Call
- Why I am Not Around Much by Corelin @ Haberdashers Run Amok
- How Do You Drug Test a Toon? by TurAmarth ElRandir @ A Carbon Based Life
- In the Red Corner by Drackarn @ Sand, Cider and Spaceships
- Glory Hole by Firstly @ Flying Silent
- Player Slang and eSports by Harkconnan @ Extra-Vehicular
- Breaking the Fourth Wall by Jace Errata @ Year of the Snake
- Panem et circenes! (bread and circuses) by Lukas Rox @ Torchwood Archives
- The New Eden Tournament Season by Rhavas @ Interstellar Privateer
- Blood Sports by Roc Wieler @ Roc’s Ramblings
- Realism vs. Fiction (of EVE PvP) by Whistlerbean @ Shelter for an Empyrean
Summary at EVEOGANDA